Cake decorating may be a fun thing for family members to do. Moms and kids may do this for special occasions to make it more memorable. Though it will take lots of practice and experiences before one could prepare a perfectly decorated cake, nevertheless, it will be one great achievement for those who will be able to hone their skills and creativeness when it comes to cake decorating.
Here are some things to remember when decorating cakes for the family, for friends or for others as gifts:
* Before decorating the cake, it is necessary to put it on a serving platter with some strips of wax paper under it. This is needed to protect the platter from getting messy during the decorating process. The wax paper may just be pulled out after.
* Brushing off the extra crumbs from the cake should also be done before spreading the frosting to make it set. The next or the final layer of frosting can be done or the decorations may now be put in place. Leveling the cake before decorating may also do the trick.
* Paste food coloring may be used in order to make the colors brighter and more vivid.
* Cake decorating bags may be filled halfway only to make it easier to work on the decorations. The tip of the cake decorating bags should be held close to the cake before squeezing it.
* It is also necessary to select the proper icing to use. Those who choose butter cream icing should see to it that they have prepared the right consistency in order for the decoration to look attractive.
* Those who would like to make use of fondant have to learn how to do it properly. A smooth and wrinkle-free fondant makes a cake look very elegant and delicious as well. There are some techniques that can be used to cover the cake with fondant perfectly.
* When choosing cake decorating tips, it is necessary to select those that are made of materials that do not rust. Cleaning in warm soapy water and then rinsing the tips with hot water will be helpful in preserving the quality and the life of the cake decorating tips. Other equipment and materials used should also be cleaned and kept properly after each use.
There are lots of recipes as well as designs for various types of cakes. One may start decorating cakes as a hobby and then may think of doing some small business out of it. Cakes are expensive these days but people especially families can still enjoy the best taste and the best decorated ones through their own efforts and creativity.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Rob_Sands